Violence tears Syria despite ceasefire pledge
Damascus: President Bashar al-Assad`s regime
pressed its deadly campaign to crush dissent on Monday, reportedly
pounding northern rebel strongholds as it brushed off a
"Friends of Syria" meeting as a failure.
An explosion ripped through central Damascus today
morning, injuring several people and damaging shops near a
police station, Syrian television and witnesses said.
Violence elsewhere killed at least three people, as
international peacebroker Kofi Annan prepared to brief the UN
Security Council after Western and Arab nations sought a
deadline for Damascus to implement his peace plan.
The call was issued in Istanbul at a meeting yesterday of
the so-called Friends of Syria group seeking to end the
Nations at the conference -- including Arab League
members, the United States, France and Germany -- steered
clear of backing opposition appeals for arms to fight the
The opposition Syrian National Council, which is funded
by some Gulf Arab states, said it would pay the salaries of
rebel fighters of the Free Syrian Army seeking to topple the
In a final declaration, the conference urged UN-Arab
League envoy Annan "to determine a timeline for next steps,
including a return to the UN Security Council, if the killing
"The regime will be judged by its deeds rather than its
promises. The window of opportunity for the regime to
implement its commitments to joint special envoy Annan is not
open-ended," it added.
Assad had on Tuesday said he accepted Annan`s six-point
The plan calls for an end to violence, a humanitarian
ceasefire and access to all restive areas, as well as an
inclusive Syrian-led political process, the right to
demonstrate, and the release of people detained arbitrarily.
Official Syrian media belittled the conference, however,
with one newspaper saying the gathering of what it called the
"Enemies of Syria" was a failure for those seeking to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok