Violent youth clash with police in Warsaw
Warsaw: Hundreds of young people from Poland and elsewhere in Europe hurled cobblestones and bottles at police during Independence Day marches in Warsaw on Friday, seriously injuring three officers. Police responded with tear gas and water cannons.
Dressed in black, with scarves hiding their faces, young people threw bottles, firecrackers and stones at riot police in downtown Warsaw, where groups of rightist and leftist activists were holding separate Independence Day marches.
The clashes came amid a large presence of riot police, with the day seen as a major test of the country`s security capabilities before the Euro 2012 football championship, which Poland will co-host with Ukraine next summer.
Prime Minister Donald Tusk vowed to make sure those arrested for attacking police are severely punished, his spokesman Pawel Gras said.
Eight officers were injured, including three who were hospitalised with serious injuries, according to police spokesman Mariusz Sokolowski. It wasn`t immediately clear how many others were injured, but some people could be seen on the street with blood on their faces.
PAP news agency said nationalist flags were flying over the attacking crowd, as well as the national colours of Slovakia, Croatia and Serbia.
Police said the situation was brought under control after they used water cannons and tear gas. Earlier in the day, another aggressive group attacked police and were detained. Many among them were anarchists from Germany, police spokesman Maciej Karczynski said.
Among the injured was Patryk Bartoszewski, a 19-year-old who had crouched down to take photos of the clashes when a man in black kicked his camera into his face. Bartoszewski stood on the side of a street holding an ice pack to his bleeding face as he waited for an ambulance.
He said couldn`t tell whether his attacker was from a far-right or other group. "And I don`t care," he said.
Bartoszewski was later taken to a hospital where he awaited treatment alongside two far-right activists — one who was attacked by a German anti-fascist protester and the other whose hand was injured after he forgot to throw firecrackers he was holding.
Earlier in the day, President Bronislaw Komorowski called for a day free of aggression as he reviewed troops and laid a wreath to fallen soldiers during state observances in downtown Warsaw. Troops — some in historic uniforms and on horseback — then held a parade through the city as thousands of Warsaw residents turned out to watch.
Friday marks 93 years since Poland regained independence in 1918 after more than a century of foreign rule by Russia, Austria and Prussia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’