Virginia to execute first woman in almost 100 years
Washington: Barring a last-minute reprieve
from the US Supreme Court, 41-year-old Teresa Lewis will on
Thursday become the first woman to be executed by the state of
Virginia in almost 100 years.
Abolitionists paint Lewis as a classic example of why
capital punishment is flawed, saying the mother and
grandmother has diminished mental faculties and was taken
advantage of by smarter accomplices.
But with an IQ hovering at 70 or above, Lewis is
considered fit for trial in Virginia and she pleaded guilty to
hiring two men to murder her husband and stepson to pocket
their USD 350,000 life insurance policy.
Unless the Supreme Court intervenes, she will die by
lethal injection on Thursday, the first woman to be put to
death in Virginia since Virginia Christian, a black
17-year-old who died in the electric chair in 1912.
Lewis met Rodney Fuller and Matthew Shallenberger in a
Walmart superstore. Soon she began an affair with the
22-year-old Shallenberger and encouraged her 16-year-old
daughter to get together with Fuller, who was 19.
Lewis admits she left the door of the family trailer in
rural Pittsylvania County open in 2002 so the two young
accomplices could enter and shoot her husband and his
25-year-old son, who was in the military.
New Delhi: Saleem Ahmed, the rickshaw puller who chased the armed assailants involved in the Jama Masjid firing episode on Sunday, has finally been rewarded for his heroics.
The Delhi Police today announced a cash award of Rs 25,000 for Saleem, who is into his mid-20s and works in the Old Delhi area.
Saleem, with a stone in his hands, along with Delhi Police constable Pramod had tried hard to stop the assailants from fleeing, after they fired at a group of Taiwanese tourists near Gate No 3 of Jama Masjid on Sunday.
"It (chasing away armed assailants with a stone) was an instinctive reaction. I was afraid too but picked up the stones before I could think twice. I know I could have been shot. It is all God`s grace. I hope the men are caught soon," Saleem had told a newspaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state