Vladimir Putin is a `patriot`: Henry Kissinger
Washington: Former US secretary of state Henry Kissinger has said that Russia`s president-elect Vladimir Putin is a "patriot" who could turn out to be a constructive partner with the United States on certain issues.
Kissinger said Putin, who was elected to a third term as President in an election marred by irregularities and protests against his rule, "is not anti-western”.
"He is, above all, a Russian patriot who feels humiliated by the experience of the 1990s, which were in the most formative period of his career," Kissinger said yesterday in an interview with CNN, referring to the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union and the crisis that followed.
"He is very resentful of what he interprets as intervention in Russian domestic affairs and even more, of course, in what he may interpret and does interpret as some American tendencies to support his political opponents in order to encourage his overthrow," he said.
"But I believe that a dialogue is possible and on specific issues he can turn out to be a constructive partner," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!