Vladimir Putin sacks defence minister
Moscow: President Vladimir Putin relieved Defence Minister Anatoly Serdyukov of his duties Tuesday, and appointed Sergei Shoigu as his replacement.
"Taking into consideration the situation that has emerged regarding the Defence Ministry, in order to create the requisite conditions for an objective investigation of all the issues, I made the decision to relieve Defence Minister Serdyukov of his duties," Putin said.
Russia`s Defence Ministry has recently become embroiled in alleged real estate scams involving nearly $100 million run by subcontractor Oboronservis.
Shoigu most recently served as Moscow region governor, and before that headed Russia`s emergencies ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Box Office report of Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Randeep Hooda starrer 'Sarbjit'
- So you think you know English perfectly? Try this quiz
- Congress move to corner Amitabh Bachchan ''utter hypocrisy'': Subramanian Swamy
- India, China should resolve issues through political acumen: Pranab Mukherjee
- Ex-Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi convoy attacked, police van set on fire near Gaya