Volcanic ash clouds Blair`s British election plans
London: Britain`s former prime minister Tony Blair`s plans for general election campaigning could be disrupted as he is stranded in Jerusalem, his spokesman said.
Blair was scheduled to return to Britain at the weekend but much of Europe`s airspace has been forced shut by the Icelandic volcano ash cloud.
Blair, who led the Labour Party to three consecutive general election victories, has already made one speech in support of his successor Gordon Brown ahead of the May 06 vote.
He now represents the European Union, Russia, the United
Nations and the United States in the peace process between Israel and the Palestinians.
But his return to the domestic political scene has been delayed by the ash cloud.
"Tony Blair is in the Middle East in his role as Quartet Representative at the moment," his spokesman said yesterday.
"He is planning to be back this week to rejoin the campaign trail but that is obviously subject to him being able to travel."
Blair, Britain`s premier from 1997 to 2007, gave a speech last month to Labour Party members in his old Sedgefield constituency in northeast England, praising Gordon Brown`s "experience, judgement and boldness".
Centre-left Labour are trailing behind the main opposition Conservatives in opinion polls, with at least one poll putting them behind the Liberal Democrats as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demand ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!