Volcanic ash: Irish airports to reopen today
Dublin: Ireland will reopen its airports on Monday after the latest aerial shutdown due to volcanic ash from Iceland that is still causing travel disruptions around Europe after nearly a month.
Donegal, Sligo, Ireland West (Knock), Galway and Kerry on the west coast will reopen at 6:00 am (1030IST) the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) said.
They were closed progressively on Sunday due to the threat to plane engines from an ash cloud hovering over the Atlantic.
"The past number of days has seen the growth of a large cloud of high ash concentration off the west coast of Ireland, and this has caused difficulty for some transatlantic operations," said the IAA in a statement.
The air safety watchdog added it was "monitoring the path of the ash cloud", which was around 3,400 kilometres long and 2,240 kms wide.
Restrictions were also lifted late Sunday in Scottish airspace - they had been imposed over some northern areas - with the exception of the island of Barra in the Outer Hebrides.
Ireland has faced several fresh shutdowns in recent days. On Thursday, airports were closed before being re-opened just three hours later.
Europe`s skies were shut for up to a week last month following the eruption of Iceland`s Eyjafjoell volcano. It was the biggest shutdown of airspace in Europe since World War II.
Volcanic ash can cause serious damage to jet engines.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler