Volcanic ash: Irish airports to reopen today
Dublin: Ireland will reopen its airports on Monday after the latest aerial shutdown due to volcanic ash from Iceland that is still causing travel disruptions around Europe after nearly a month.
Donegal, Sligo, Ireland West (Knock), Galway and Kerry on the west coast will reopen at 6:00 am (1030IST) the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) said.
They were closed progressively on Sunday due to the threat to plane engines from an ash cloud hovering over the Atlantic.
"The past number of days has seen the growth of a large cloud of high ash concentration off the west coast of Ireland, and this has caused difficulty for some transatlantic operations," said the IAA in a statement.
The air safety watchdog added it was "monitoring the path of the ash cloud", which was around 3,400 kilometres long and 2,240 kms wide.
Restrictions were also lifted late Sunday in Scottish airspace - they had been imposed over some northern areas - with the exception of the island of Barra in the Outer Hebrides.
Ireland has faced several fresh shutdowns in recent days. On Thursday, airports were closed before being re-opened just three hours later.
Europe`s skies were shut for up to a week last month following the eruption of Iceland`s Eyjafjoell volcano. It was the biggest shutdown of airspace in Europe since World War II.
Volcanic ash can cause serious damage to jet engines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'