Volcanic ash: Irish airports to reopen today
Dublin: Ireland will reopen its airports on Monday after the latest aerial shutdown due to volcanic ash from Iceland that is still causing travel disruptions around Europe after nearly a month.
Donegal, Sligo, Ireland West (Knock), Galway and Kerry on the west coast will reopen at 6:00 am (1030IST) the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) said.
They were closed progressively on Sunday due to the threat to plane engines from an ash cloud hovering over the Atlantic.
"The past number of days has seen the growth of a large cloud of high ash concentration off the west coast of Ireland, and this has caused difficulty for some transatlantic operations," said the IAA in a statement.
The air safety watchdog added it was "monitoring the path of the ash cloud", which was around 3,400 kilometres long and 2,240 kms wide.
Restrictions were also lifted late Sunday in Scottish airspace - they had been imposed over some northern areas - with the exception of the island of Barra in the Outer Hebrides.
Ireland has faced several fresh shutdowns in recent days. On Thursday, airports were closed before being re-opened just three hours later.
Europe`s skies were shut for up to a week last month following the eruption of Iceland`s Eyjafjoell volcano. It was the biggest shutdown of airspace in Europe since World War II.
Volcanic ash can cause serious damage to jet engines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook