Volcano erupts again in western Indonesia
Medan (Indonesia): A volcano in western Indonesia erupted for the second time this week on Tuesday, forcing some villagers who were just returning home to flee the mountain again, an official said.
Local Disaster Mitigation Agency chief Asren Nasution said Mount Sinabung`s midday eruption spewed volcanic ash and thick smoke up to 3 kilometres (nearly two miles) into the air and blew eastward to the hilly resort town of Brastagi.
He added that there are no immediate reports of damages or injuries.
Today`s eruption also caused forest fires to ignite on the slopes of the volcano, and black smoke could be seen billowing from two villages, according to an Associated Press photographer on the scene.
The 2,600-metre (8,530-feet) volcano in North Sumatra province first erupted Sunday after being dormant for three years. It spewed thick ash and small rocks that pelted neighbouring villages.
The National Disaster Mitigation Agency said more than 6,200 people were evacuated as of today afternoon and were being sheltered in eight locations. Most of them were from six villages within 3 kilometres (nearly 2 miles) of the mountain in Karo district.
The volcano`s last eruption in August 2010 killed two people and forced 30,000 others to flee.
It caught many scientists off guard because the volcano had remained quiet for four centuries.
Mount Sinabung is among 129 active volcanoes in Indonesia, the world`s largest archipelago nation which is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened