Volcano erupts in Indonesia
Jakarta: Mount Sinabung, one of the most active volcanoes in Indonesia, erupted Tuesday, spewing hot ash up to 7,000 metres high along with lava and forcing evacuation, an official said.
Hot lava burst forth with flames from the crater and slid off the southeast slope of the volcano, leading the authorities to warn all residents nearby to evacuate, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman of disaster management and mitigation agency, told Xinhua by phone.
"The people are asked to evacuate, especially those living on the southeast side of the mountain as hot lava and ash keep bursting to the direction," Xinhua quoted Sutopo as saying.
The rumbling volcano started minor eruption Monday afternoon and erupted intermittently for seven times, according to the spokesman.
He added that there were no casualties.
The 2,457-metre Mount Sinabung in Karo district of North Sumatra has rumbled to life since September after being quiet for 400 years, but it went into overdrive in November, forcing the authorities to extend evacuation zone to within a radius of 5 km from 3 km.
The Mount Sinabung is among the 129 active volcanoes in the vast archipelago country, which is prone to seismic upheaval as it lays on the Pacific "Ring of Fire" encircling the Pacific Ocean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued