Volcano spews ash on New Zealand`s North Island
Wellington: A volcano has erupted in New Zealand and planes have been warned of significant ash release.
Volcanic ash fell in areas near Mount Tongariro in central North Island late tonight. GNS Science issued a red aviation code, the highest level, for planes in the region.
The Ministry of Civil Defense and Emergency Management advised residents of five nearby communities to stay indoors and to protect their eyes, mouth and nose if they were caught in volcanic ash.
Mount Tongariro is one of three volcanos inside Tongariro National Park. Tonight`s eruption was the mountain`s first in decades.
New Zealand is on the Pacific Ring of Fire and has frequent seismic activity. An earthquake last year in Christchurch on South Island killed 185 people and destroyed much of the city`s downtown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon