Volcano spews ash on New Zealand`s North Island
Wellington: A volcano has erupted in New Zealand and planes have been warned of significant ash release.
Volcanic ash fell in areas near Mount Tongariro in central North Island late tonight. GNS Science issued a red aviation code, the highest level, for planes in the region.
The Ministry of Civil Defense and Emergency Management advised residents of five nearby communities to stay indoors and to protect their eyes, mouth and nose if they were caught in volcanic ash.
Mount Tongariro is one of three volcanos inside Tongariro National Park. Tonight`s eruption was the mountain`s first in decades.
New Zealand is on the Pacific Ring of Fire and has frequent seismic activity. An earthquake last year in Christchurch on South Island killed 185 people and destroyed much of the city`s downtown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race