Volcano spews ash on New Zealand`s North Island
Wellington: A volcano has erupted in New Zealand and planes have been warned of significant ash release.
Volcanic ash fell in areas near Mount Tongariro in central North Island late tonight. GNS Science issued a red aviation code, the highest level, for planes in the region.
The Ministry of Civil Defense and Emergency Management advised residents of five nearby communities to stay indoors and to protect their eyes, mouth and nose if they were caught in volcanic ash.
Mount Tongariro is one of three volcanos inside Tongariro National Park. Tonight`s eruption was the mountain`s first in decades.
New Zealand is on the Pacific Ring of Fire and has frequent seismic activity. An earthquake last year in Christchurch on South Island killed 185 people and destroyed much of the city`s downtown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves