Voting starts in Crimea to decide if region leaves Ukraine for Russia
Simferopol: Voting got underway in Crimea on Sunday in a referendum that will decide whether the Black Sea peninsula leaves Ukraine and becomes part of Russia.
At a high school in the Crimean regional capital of Simferopol, dozens of people queued to vote on a cool, cloudy morning.
"I came here on this festive day and voted for the benefit of Crimea and Crimeans, and now I`ll head into town to celebrate," said Vladimir, in his late 40s.
European leaders and US President Barack Obama have dismissed the vote, which has been organised by Crimea`s pro-Russian authorities at short notice, as illegitimate, saying it would violate Ukraine`s Constitution.
According to ballot papers published before the referendum, voters have the right to choose one of two options, neither of which rejects control by Russia.
The first question asks: "Are you in favour of the reunification of Crimea with Russia as a part of the Russian Federation?"
The second asks: "Are you in favour of restoring the 1992 Constitution and the status of Crimea as a part of Ukraine?"
At first glance, the second option seems to offer the prospects of the peninsula remaining within Ukraine. But the 1992 national blueprint is far from doing that.
Instead, it foresees giving Crimea all the qualities of an independent entity within Ukraine - but with the broad right to determine its own path and choose relations with whom it wants - including with Russia.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!