Waheed to attend CMAG meeting in New York
Male: Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed will attend a meeting of the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group that will take a decision on removing Maldives from its agenda after an inquiry found no conspiracy in the ouster of Mohamed Nasheed from power.
President Waheed left for New York to attend the United Nations General Assembly today and will also represent Maldives at the Commonwealth meeting there.
CMAG had decided to place Maldives on its agenda after Nasheed raised questions over the February transfer of power and alleged that it was a coup.
The government then instituted an inquiry backed by the Commonwealth to go into the circumstances of the transfer of power.
The commission, however, ruled that transfer of power had been constitutional and that Nasheed had not been ousted forcibly.
The CMAG sit-down is scheduled for Friday and Saturday in New York where the Group will make a decision on the removal of Maldives from its agenda.
"Normally the meeting is not of presidential level. However, we really must remove ourselves from CMAG`s agenda.
We are really confident that we can achieve that objective," he said at a press conference before departing for New York to partake in the United Nations General Assembly.
A technical glitch had reportedly cut short the teleconference meeting held by CMAG on September 11 to make a decision on taking Maldives off its agenda.
Therefore, the CMAG members had agreed to put off the decision on the Maldives until the scheduled official meeting in New York.
In addition, the CMAG`s members had also agreed to offer the Maldives a chance of representation in the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj