Waheed to attend CMAG meeting in New York
Male: Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed will attend a meeting of the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group that will take a decision on removing Maldives from its agenda after an inquiry found no conspiracy in the ouster of Mohamed Nasheed from power.
President Waheed left for New York to attend the United Nations General Assembly today and will also represent Maldives at the Commonwealth meeting there.
CMAG had decided to place Maldives on its agenda after Nasheed raised questions over the February transfer of power and alleged that it was a coup.
The government then instituted an inquiry backed by the Commonwealth to go into the circumstances of the transfer of power.
The commission, however, ruled that transfer of power had been constitutional and that Nasheed had not been ousted forcibly.
The CMAG sit-down is scheduled for Friday and Saturday in New York where the Group will make a decision on the removal of Maldives from its agenda.
"Normally the meeting is not of presidential level. However, we really must remove ourselves from CMAG`s agenda.
We are really confident that we can achieve that objective," he said at a press conference before departing for New York to partake in the United Nations General Assembly.
A technical glitch had reportedly cut short the teleconference meeting held by CMAG on September 11 to make a decision on taking Maldives off its agenda.
Therefore, the CMAG members had agreed to put off the decision on the Maldives until the scheduled official meeting in New York.
In addition, the CMAG`s members had also agreed to offer the Maldives a chance of representation in the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation