Want to run for Yemen Prez but can`t: Nobel winner
Oslo: Yemini "Arab Spring" activist Tawakkol Karman, who received the Nobel Peace Prize on Sunday, lamented that she could not stand as a candidate in her country`s presidential elections in February.
"I want to (be a) candidate," she said in an interview with CNN shortly after the lavish award ceremony in the Oslo city hall.
She said many others also wanted her or other Yemeni citizens to be candidates in the elections, set for February 21 after 33-year-ruler Ali Abdullah Saleh has agreed to step down, but "do we have this opportunity?"
"If I will (be a) candidate, I will win," she insisted, but pointed out that the Gulf state-brokered deal providing for Saleh`s departure stipulates that only Vice President Abd Rabbo Mansour Hadi is eligible to run to replace him for an
interim period of two years.
"Is it fair?" Karman asked.
"People... are struggling, they lose their blood. We have more than 28,000 people injured and killed in the street for their dignity, for democracy, for freedom, for human rights, for anti-corruption, for good governance (and) they gave us this?" she said.
Karman, 32, is first ever Arab woman to win a Nobel Peace Prize and is a leading figure in Yemen`s "Arab Spring" uprising that pushed Saleh to agree to leave power.
She shared her award today with Liberian President Ellen Sirleaf Johnson and Liberian "peace warrior" Leymah Gbowee for demonstrating how women facing war and oppression can shed the mantle of victimhood and lead the way to peace and democracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!