War crimes trial of Bosnian Serb ex-minister opens
The Hague: Former Bosnian Serb interior
minister Mico Stanisic was part of a systematic campaign to
"permanently remove" non-Serbs from areas of Bosnia,
prosecutors charged as his war crimes trial opened in The
Stanisic, as former political head of the Bosnian Serb
police, is accused of murder, torture and persecution before
the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia
(ICTY) along with his erstwhile subordinate Stojan Zupljanin.
"It is not suggested that either of the two accused
personally committed any murders or beatings or took part
personally in looting. However, they were aware of these
crimes," prosecutor Joanna Korner told the judges.
"Their failure to take any action to investigate the
crimes or to take steps to prevent future crimes was ... a
positive affirmation of their adherence to the criminal
enterprise designed to rid territory of non-Serb peoples."
Stanisic is charged in his capacity as former political
head of the Bosnian Serb police, while Zupljanin was in charge
of the police of Krajina, the self-declared autonomous region
in northwestern Bosnia.
Zupljanin later became an adviser to former Bosnian Serb
president Radovan Karadzic, who is himself facing charges of
war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide before the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram