Was N Korean leader Kim Jung-un’s grandpa traitor?
Japan: Archives discovered in Osaka, Japan have revealed that North Korean leader Kim Jung-un’s grandfather collaborated with Japanese Army soldiers during the Second World War.
Kim Jung-un`s maternal grandfather, Ko Gyon-tek, worked at a factory in Osaka making uniforms for the Japanese Army who were hunting Kim Il-sung, the guerrilla leader and founder of the North Korean regime whose son would later marry the current dictator`s mother.
Collaborating with the Japanese occupiers of Korea would normally have meant incarceration in North Korea`s gulags for the traitor and his family but Ko avoided that fate by returning to North Korea in the early 1960s thanks to his daughter being in love with Kim Jong-il, the son of Kim Il-sung.
Human rights activist Ken Kato who discovered the files in Japan`s military archives and the library of the country`s Parliament, believes they undermine Kim Jung-un`s legitimacy to rule.
He also believes that the dictator, who is believed to be 29, will have been unaware of his grandfather`s background – which would have placed him in the lowest "hostile" class of North Korean society.
Ko apparently managed to conceal his past and found work in a chemical factory, the records indicate, while his daughter began to dance with the Mansudae Art Troupe. It was as a dancer that she caught the eye of Kim Jong-il.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video