Was N Korean leader Kim Jung-un’s grandpa traitor?
Japan: Archives discovered in Osaka, Japan have revealed that North Korean leader Kim Jung-un’s grandfather collaborated with Japanese Army soldiers during the Second World War.
Kim Jung-un`s maternal grandfather, Ko Gyon-tek, worked at a factory in Osaka making uniforms for the Japanese Army who were hunting Kim Il-sung, the guerrilla leader and founder of the North Korean regime whose son would later marry the current dictator`s mother.
Collaborating with the Japanese occupiers of Korea would normally have meant incarceration in North Korea`s gulags for the traitor and his family but Ko avoided that fate by returning to North Korea in the early 1960s thanks to his daughter being in love with Kim Jong-il, the son of Kim Il-sung.
Human rights activist Ken Kato who discovered the files in Japan`s military archives and the library of the country`s Parliament, believes they undermine Kim Jung-un`s legitimacy to rule.
He also believes that the dictator, who is believed to be 29, will have been unaware of his grandfather`s background – which would have placed him in the lowest "hostile" class of North Korean society.
Ko apparently managed to conceal his past and found work in a chemical factory, the records indicate, while his daughter began to dance with the Mansudae Art Troupe. It was as a dancer that she caught the eye of Kim Jong-il.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan