Was Strauss-Kahn the target of a conspiracy?
Wellington: A new book on former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn by American journalist Edward Jay Epstein has again revealed that he was the target of a conspiracy to weaken his chances of defeating Nicolas Sarkozy to become French president.
Epstein writes in his book that Strauss-Kahn was ‘in the crosshairs’ of observation by French authorities and had no idea his activities could be morphed into a high profile arrest for pimping.
A year ago on Monday, Strauss-Kahn was arrested for sexual assault of a Sofitel Hotel maid in Manhattan.
The charges were dropped when prosecutors decided her reliability was a problem but his political career was killed.
“There may be innocent explanations of what went on in the Sofitel ... but ... the possibility of a conspiracy cannot be ruled out,” Stuff.co.nz quoted Epstein, as saying.
Epstein suspected French authorities bugged Strauss-Kahn’s phone.
He claimed Strauss-Kahn’s BlackBerry phone bafflingly went missing and had its global positioning system turned off after Strauss-Kahn left the hotel.
In an ebook Three Days in May, Epstein had claimed Strauss-Kahn took part in a sex party in Washington, and then flew to New York.
Strauss-Kahn then booked into the hotel whose parent company employed an executive close to Sarkozy`s intelligence co-coordinator, according to Epstein.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre to be launched in India today
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Shraddha Kapoor to come together! No, we aren’t talking about a film