We are on the brink of disaster: Ukraine PM Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Kiev: Ukraine`s Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk on Sunday warned his crisis-hit country was on the "brink of disaster", accusing Russia of declaring war in a bleak appeal to the international community.
"This is the red alert, this is not a threat, this is actually a declaration of war to my country," he told reporters in English, a day after Russia`s parliament approved the deployment of troops to Ukraine.
"If President Putin wants to be the president who started a war between two neighbouring and friendly countries, between Ukraine and Russia, he has reached his target within a few inches. We are on the brink of the disaster."
US leader Barack Obama has branded Russia`s parliament vote a "violation of Ukrainian sovereignty" and told his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in a phone call that Moscow`s reported deployment of troops outside bases that it leases from Ukraine in the Crimea peninsula had broken international law.
Yatsenyuk today appealed to the international community.
"We believe that our Western partners and the entire global community will support the territorial integrity and unity of Ukraine and will do everything they can in order to stop the military conflict provoked by the Russian Federation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf