We were `dead broke` after White House: Hillary Clinton
Washington: Hillary Rodham Clinton says her family was "dead broke" after her husband Bill`s presidency.
In an interview with ABC News airing on Monday, the former secretary of state and possible presidential contender in 2016 said the couple emerged from the White House saddled with legal fees and debt.
Clinton said they struggled to finance "mortgages, for houses" and daughter Chelsea`s education.
Financial disclosures showed that the family in 2001 owed millions of dollars in legal bills stemming from Bill Clinton`s time in the White House.
Republicans said the remark shows it`s difficult for ordinary people to relate to Clinton, who has made a fortune in speaking fees and is promoting a new book.
Democrats levelled a similar charge against the Republicans` wealthy 2012 presidential nominee, Mitt Romney.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda