We were `dead broke` after White House: Hillary Clinton
Washington: Hillary Rodham Clinton says her family was "dead broke" after her husband Bill`s presidency.
In an interview with ABC News airing on Monday, the former secretary of state and possible presidential contender in 2016 said the couple emerged from the White House saddled with legal fees and debt.
Clinton said they struggled to finance "mortgages, for houses" and daughter Chelsea`s education.
Financial disclosures showed that the family in 2001 owed millions of dollars in legal bills stemming from Bill Clinton`s time in the White House.
Republicans said the remark shows it`s difficult for ordinary people to relate to Clinton, who has made a fortune in speaking fees and is promoting a new book.
Democrats levelled a similar charge against the Republicans` wealthy 2012 presidential nominee, Mitt Romney.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH