We were `dead broke` after White House: Hillary Clinton
Washington: Hillary Rodham Clinton says her family was "dead broke" after her husband Bill`s presidency.
In an interview with ABC News airing on Monday, the former secretary of state and possible presidential contender in 2016 said the couple emerged from the White House saddled with legal fees and debt.
Clinton said they struggled to finance "mortgages, for houses" and daughter Chelsea`s education.
Financial disclosures showed that the family in 2001 owed millions of dollars in legal bills stemming from Bill Clinton`s time in the White House.
Republicans said the remark shows it`s difficult for ordinary people to relate to Clinton, who has made a fortune in speaking fees and is promoting a new book.
Democrats levelled a similar charge against the Republicans` wealthy 2012 presidential nominee, Mitt Romney.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will step down if chair becomes impediment in father's vision for J&K: Mehbooba Mufti
- Nuke programme made Pakistan's defence impregnable: Nawaz Sharif
- Indian Army now confirms Hizbul Mujahideen militant Tariq Pandit held
- Kepler 62f: An exoplanet 1200 light years away may be habitable!
- UEFA Champions League final: Five classic Real Madrid-Atletico Madrid derbies