Wealthy socialite found dead in London: UK police
London: Eva Rausing, one of Britain`s richest women, was found dead in her west London home and a man has been arrested in connection with her death, British police has said.
Rausing, 48, was the American-born wife of Hans Kristian Rausing, heir to the multibillion-dollar TetraPak packaging fortune.
British police said yesterday they had arrested a 49-year-old man on Monday on suspicion of drug possession and a subsequent search of an address in London`s tony Belgravia neighbourhood related to that drug arrest turned up the body later that day, police said.
The man was widely named in the British media but police would not confirm the name.
Scotland Yard confirmed in a statement yesterday that the body was Eva Rausing`s and said further tests were being carried out after an autopsy failed to establish a formal cause of death.
It said officers from the Homicide and Serious Crime division were investigating "and the death continues to be treated at this time as unexplained”.
The man arrested in connection with Rausing`s death was no longer at a police station but receiving medical attention, police added.
They would not say if the man was under guard. Calls and e-mails to Eva Rausing`s family, the Kemeny family, were unanswered. Repeated attempts to contact members of the Rausing family in Switzerland, Britain and the United States were not successful.
The couple had a long-running and often public addiction battle.
Eva Rausing was arrested outside the US embassy in London in 2008 for reportedly trying to bring crack cocaine and heroin into building in her handbag. Police later found small amounts of cocaine, crack and heroin in a search of couple`s GBP 5 million (USD 10 million) London town house.
The pair were charged with drug possession but prosecutors later agreed to drop the charges.
At the time, the Rausing family issued a statement saying relatives were "deeply saddened" by the couple`s drug problems and hoped they could overcome their addiction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi