Welsh-born Swedish Princess Lilian dead at 97
Stockholm: Welsh-born Princess Lilian of Sweden, whose decades-long love story with the king`s uncle was one of the better kept secrets of the royal household, has died. She was 97.
The Royal Palace says Lilian died on Sunday in her home in Stockholm. Lilian met Sweden`s Prince Bertil already in 1943, but the prince`s obligations to the throne and Lilian`s status as a divorced commoner prevented them from making their love public, and it would take more than 30 years before they could marry. The couple`s sacrifices and lifelong dedication to one another gripped the hearts of Swedes.
Prince Bertil died in the couple`s residence Villa Solbacken in Stockholm in 1997. The couple never had any children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj