West may intervene in Syria: Report
Damascus: Western troops could intervene in Syria if the collapse of President Bashar al-Assad’s government leaves stockpiles of his chemical weapons vulnerable to terrorists, sources have revealed.
Syria possesses hundreds of tons of VX, Sarin and mustard gas. Western governments are concerned about the security of these munitions if the Assad regime falls or loses control over relevant sites.
“The thing that privately has got people very worried is chemical weapon stocks,” The Telegraph quoted a diplomat, as saying.
“Were it to be the case that the regime did start to lose control of the security environment, and it looked as though it wasn’t able to secure those sites, then that would be a game-changer,” the diplomat added.
The diplomat said that the current 14-month uprising probably does not pose an "existential threat" to the regime.
But if that changed, the international community would have to avert the threat of chemical weapons falling in dangerous hands, the diplomat added.
According to the paper, al Qaeda is understood to have moved operatives into Syria from neighbouring Iraq.
Hezbollah, the Shi’ite extremist group, has a longstanding presence in Syria and a close alliance with Assad.
The diplomat stressed that they ‘could not tolerate the possibility of some of that stuff falling into the wrong hands.’ said the diplomat.
“This uprising is not an existential threat to the Assad cartel, but if it was the case that they were starting to lose the plot and it looked as if their ability to secure those materials was questionable, then I think you`d see more very serious worries coming out of the Security Council,” the paper quoted the diplomat, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city