West ‘openly instigating’ Syria opposition: Russia
Moscow: Russia has said that Western powers are ‘openly instigating’ Syrian opposition groups to take up arms in their fight to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.
The Russian Foreign Ministry has claimed that the West ‘has done nothing’ to urge Assad’s opponents to start a dialogue with his government. The Ministry claimed that the ‘pharisaical’ Western approach to the Syrian civil war will not help resolve the conflict, which has killed an estimated 19,000 people, News 24 reports.
Russia has earlier warned the West that it will not tolerate unilateral intervention in Syria.
The message from Russia came a day after President Barack Obama said that any attempt by the Assad regime to use chemical weapons could trigger intervention by the United States.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said countries should ‘strictly adhere to norms of international law’.
According to the report, Moscow has been Syria’s key protector throughout the 17-month uprising that has evolved into a civil war, protecting Assad’s regime from international sanctions and providing it with weapons despite an international outcry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Ruias plan to sell another 25% stake in Essar Oil
- Microsoft CEO Nadella's debut book to come out in 2017
- Urvashi Rautela gives 'Resham Ka Rumaal' a sexy twist in 'Great Grand Masti' – Watch here
- Delhi Court frees Ex-DUSU President on a 2004 complaint by professor
- Daddy's girl! Bipasha Basu showers birthday wishes on papa dearest! – View pic