‘West won`t punish Turkey over Iran sanctions’
Ankara: The West is angered about Turkey`s
refusal to go along with it on Iran sanctions, but unlikely to
try to punish Ankara as it needs help with neighbouring Syria,
While Washington and Brussels are ardent supporters of
sanctions to force Iran to abandon its contested nuclear
programme, Turkey believes tough measures will backfire and
instead backs the policy of engagement and diplomacy.
Turkish officials have refused to join the latest US and
EU sanctions against Iran, which include a ban on oil imports,
and are only bound by UN Security Council measures.
But analysts said that while Turkey has come pressure
from Washington, it will be protected from its wrath largely
because of the Syrian crisis on its doorstep.
"First of all, the Obama administration needs Turkey`s
help in contending with the Arab political uprisings,
especially the difficult situation in Syria," said Barbara
Slavin, senior fellow at the Atlantic Council of the United
Since the outbreak of the uprisings in mid-March last
year, Ankara and Washington have been coordinating policies on
how to respond to President Bashar al-Assad`s deadly crackdown
on dissent which has claimed over 7,600 lives according to UN
Both have called on Assad to step down, and also worry
the unrest could deepen in a region already jolted by last
year`s Arab Spring uprisings.
Indeed, the Turkish government "is taking the opposite
side from Iran on the Syrian crisis," said Slavin.
As Syria`s closest ally in the region, Iran has stood
behind the regime in Damascus while Turkey accused it of
"mercilessly murdering" its own people.
The unrest in Syria is not the only divergence in
Ankara`s decision to allow a early radar system to be
stationed on its soil as part of a NATO missile defense scheme
is another source of tension in the two neighbours`
Turkey, a member of NATO since 1952, has insisted that
Iran is not target of the radar but Turkish pleas fell on deaf
ears in Tehran which warned that Ankara`s consent would create
tension and lead to "complicated consequences."
Turkish willingness to get tough with Syria`s brutal
crackdown and to host NATO radar system on its soil have
proved Turkey is still anchored to the West.
Only two years ago, a Turkish veto of a UN Security
Council resolution calling for tougher sanctions against Iran
shocked Washington, rekindling debates over EU hopeful
Turkey`s East-West orientation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt