What do you do: Castro to Pope
Havana: Pope Benedict and Cuban revolutionary leader Fidel Castro, both octogenarians, joked about their age in a meeting on Wednesday and then Castro popped the question: So what do you do?
The two world figures chatted for about 30 minutes at the Vatican embassy in Havana near the end of the pope`s three-day visit to Cuba, where he called for greater freedom and a bigger role for the Catholic Church in the communist-led nation.
Under Castro`s 49-year rule from 1959 to 2008, Cuba for years called itself an atheist state. However, relations with the Church seem to have improved over the past two decades.
"What does a pope do?" Castro asked Benedict, who is just one year, his junior. The pontiff told him of his ministry, his foreign trips and his service to the Church, saying he was happy to be in Cuba and with the welcome he received. Castro told the pontiff he had watched his whole visit on television. Two of his children were also presented to the pope.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations