What I like doing best is killing people: US gunman in note
Webster: The man who shot dead two firefighters in an ambush after setting ablaze houses in his neighbourhood in America’s Webster, left a spine-chilling account of his motives in a note that was recovered by the police on Tuesday.
The 62 year old murderer William Spengler wrote in the note that he planned to "do what I like doing best, killing people”, Police Chief Gerald Pickering said on Tuesday adding that a third body that of his missing sister’s, was recovered too.
The two- to three-page typewritten rambling note left by Spengler did not reveal what set off the killer or provide a motive for the shootings, Pickering said. He called the attack a "clear ambush on first responders."
He declined to reveal the note`s full content or say where it was found. He read only one chilling line: "I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighborhood I can burn down, and do what I like doing best, killing people."
Police revealed the woman’s body believed to be the killer`s 67-year-old sister, Cheryl Spengler that was found in his fire-ravaged home.
A next-door neighbor said Spengler hated his sister and they lived on opposite sides of the house.
Earlier in 1980, he is known to have served 17 years in prison for manslaughter - hammer slaying of his grandmother.
Authorities say he sprayed bullets at the first responders, killing two firefighters and injuring two others who remained hospitalized Tuesday in stable condition, awake and alert and expected to survive. He then killed himself as seven houses burned on a sliver of land along Lake Ontario.
Police recovered a military-style .223-caliber semiautomatic Bushmaster rifle with flash suppression, the same make and caliber weapon used in the elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn., that killed 26, including 20 young children, Pickering said.
The chief said it was believed the firefighters were hit with shots from the rifle given the distance but the investigation was incomplete.
"He was equipped to go to war, kill innocent people," the chief said.
"I`m not sure we`ll ever know what was going through his mind," Pickering said.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa