What I like doing best is killing people: US gunman in note
Webster: The man who shot dead two firefighters in an ambush after setting ablaze houses in his neighbourhood in America’s Webster, left a spine-chilling account of his motives in a note that was recovered by the police on Tuesday.
The 62 year old murderer William Spengler wrote in the note that he planned to "do what I like doing best, killing people”, Police Chief Gerald Pickering said on Tuesday adding that a third body that of his missing sister’s, was recovered too.
The two- to three-page typewritten rambling note left by Spengler did not reveal what set off the killer or provide a motive for the shootings, Pickering said. He called the attack a "clear ambush on first responders."
He declined to reveal the note`s full content or say where it was found. He read only one chilling line: "I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighborhood I can burn down, and do what I like doing best, killing people."
Police revealed the woman’s body believed to be the killer`s 67-year-old sister, Cheryl Spengler that was found in his fire-ravaged home.
A next-door neighbor said Spengler hated his sister and they lived on opposite sides of the house.
Earlier in 1980, he is known to have served 17 years in prison for manslaughter - hammer slaying of his grandmother.
Authorities say he sprayed bullets at the first responders, killing two firefighters and injuring two others who remained hospitalized Tuesday in stable condition, awake and alert and expected to survive. He then killed himself as seven houses burned on a sliver of land along Lake Ontario.
Police recovered a military-style .223-caliber semiautomatic Bushmaster rifle with flash suppression, the same make and caliber weapon used in the elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn., that killed 26, including 20 young children, Pickering said.
The chief said it was believed the firefighters were hit with shots from the rifle given the distance but the investigation was incomplete.
"He was equipped to go to war, kill innocent people," the chief said.
"I`m not sure we`ll ever know what was going through his mind," Pickering said.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM