What is Obama’s religion? Most Americans clueless
Washington: More than half of Americans are unaware about President Barack Obama’s religion, according to a poll.
A survey by the Pew Research Centre found that only 49 percent of those polled knew Obama is Christian, while 17 percent thought he is Muslim and 31 percent said they don’t know.
According to the New York Daily News, the percentage of voters who knew Obama is Christian has declined since October 2008, when 55 percent correctly identified him as Christian, however, it was seen to be higher than in August 2010, when just 38 percent knew his faith.
The survey showed that about 45 percent of voters said they are comfortable with Obama’s religion, while 19 percent are uncomfortable, and of those who thought he was Muslim, only about a quarter were comfortable with that faith.
The poll results also found that 60 percent of voters were aware that GOP candidate Mitt Romney is Mormon and it wasn’t an issue for about 80 percent of them.
The research showed that white evangelical Protestants, black Protestants, atheists and agnostics were most likely to say they are uncomfortable with Romney’s religion.
The poll was conducted June 28 to July 09, 2012, among 2,973 adults, including 2,373 registered voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed