When Canadian cops failed her, raped girl hanged herself
London: A 17-year-old girl from Canada killed herself after four boys raped her and spread a photograph of the assault, causing classmates to cyber-bully her, her mother has said.
The girl from Nova Scotia hanged herself in her family`s bathroom after months of torment, the Daily Mail reported.
No charges were ever brought against her alleged attackers following the assault in 2011. An investigation was launched but authorities concluded they did not have enough evidence.
Her mother described how her daughter was changed by the alleged assault in their hometown of Cole Harbour.
"She went with a friend to another`s home. In that home, she was raped by four young boys. One of those boys took a photo of her being raped and decided it would be fun to distribute the photo to everyone in the school and community, where it quickly went viral," her mother wrote on a social network.
The alleged attack left the girl an outcast at her school, where her alleged rapists were also students. Friends, students and strangers taunted her, her mother said.
"People texted her all the time, saying `Will you have sex with me?`," she said. "Girls texting, saying `You`re such a slut`. She was never left alone. She had to leave the community. Her friends turned against her. People harassed her... It just never stopped," the daily quoted her mother as saying.
Her parents moved to Halifax to help her escape the bullies.
She said her daughter also started therapy, which appeared to be helping. Yet she would become angry quickly, and the suicide was probably the result of a mood swing, the mother said.
"She acted on an impulse, but I truly, in my heart of heart, do not feel she meant to kill herself," her mother said.
Canadian police launched an investigation, which took a year, but concluded there was insufficient evidence to bring up charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi