Whisky restores eyesight in man after vodka blinds
Melbourne: A bottle of whisky saved the sight of a 65-year-old man in New Zealand who was blinded after the vodka he was drinking reacted with his diabetes medication.
Denis Duthie, a catering tutor at New Plymouth`s Western Institute of Technology, had decided to have a few drinks to celebrate his parents` 50th wedding anniversary.
However, when he walked into the bedroom of his home in Taranaki, he suddenly found that he could not see anything, `The New Zealand Herald` reported.
"I thought it had got dark and I`d missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon. I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch but ... I`d just gone completely blind," he told the paper.
He hoped he would be able to sleep it off, but after waking the next morning he was still unable to see anything.
Duthie was rushed to Taranaki Base Hospital, where doctors thought he might have formaldehyde poisoning, which is associated with ingesting methanol and can be treated by administering ethanol - the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages.
Doctors immediately decided he needed to go to surgery straight away.
There wasn`t enough medical ethanol available in the hospital, so the registrar nipped down to the local bottle shop and picked up a bottle of whisky.
They dripped the whisky into his stomach through a tube, and hoped for the best.
"I woke up five days later and I could see as soon as I could open my eyes," Duthie said.
Duthie was later told that his illness was caused by the vodka reacting with his medication for diabetes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400