White House condemns terrorist attack on Saudi Minister
Washington: United States Wednesday condemned the terrorist attack on a Saudi Minister last week and reiterated its commitment to dismantle Osama bin Laden-led al-Qaeda network.
"The US Government strongly condemns the cowardly attack late last week against Saudi Arabia`s Assistant Minister of Interior Prince Muhammad Bin Nayif," White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said in a statement here.
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula has claimed responsibility for the attack, which was unsuccessful.
Prince Muhammad has been a courageous leader of Saudi Arabia`s fight against al-Qaeda, and we are very thankful that Prince Muhammad escaped this attack with only minor injuries," he said.
US President Barack Obama has extended his best wishes for his full recovery.
Gibbs said the attempt on the life of Prince Muhammad underscores the continued threat posed by al-Qaeda and the importance of strong counter-terrorism cooperation between the US and its regional partners.
"The President has discussed security cooperation in all of his interactions with King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, as they both share a firm commitment to dismantle the al-Qaeda organisation and to prevent it from carrying out its murderous agenda," Gibbs said.