White House considering ‘John Kerry for Defense, Susan Rice for State’
Washington: The Obama administration is considering asking Senator John Kerry to serve as the country’s next Defense Secretary, US media reports have suggested.
Reports by both the Washington Post and the New York Times also suggested that Susan Rice, U.S. ambassador to the U.N., is being considered to replace Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
The Post reports that the nomination to succeed Clinton will ‘almost certainly’ go to Rice, even though she has come under heavy fire on Capitol Hill for her description of the attack in Benghazi on September 11.
According to Politico, the Times reported that White House officials said Rice is ‘the favorite’.
“Both Rice and Kerry have a reservoir of good will in the Oval Office,” the report said.
“I she gets the nod, officials said, Mr. Kerry could be considered for defense secretary, The decision, administration officials said, will likely hinge on whether Obama would rather risk a bruising confirmation battle for Rice or the loss of Kerry’s seat, which could be picked up by Scott P. Brown after the loss of his own seat last week,” it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'