White House considering ‘John Kerry for Defense, Susan Rice for State’
Washington: The Obama administration is considering asking Senator John Kerry to serve as the country’s next Defense Secretary, US media reports have suggested.
Reports by both the Washington Post and the New York Times also suggested that Susan Rice, U.S. ambassador to the U.N., is being considered to replace Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
The Post reports that the nomination to succeed Clinton will ‘almost certainly’ go to Rice, even though she has come under heavy fire on Capitol Hill for her description of the attack in Benghazi on September 11.
According to Politico, the Times reported that White House officials said Rice is ‘the favorite’.
“Both Rice and Kerry have a reservoir of good will in the Oval Office,” the report said.
“I she gets the nod, officials said, Mr. Kerry could be considered for defense secretary, The decision, administration officials said, will likely hinge on whether Obama would rather risk a bruising confirmation battle for Rice or the loss of Kerry’s seat, which could be picked up by Scott P. Brown after the loss of his own seat last week,” it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Salman Khan rules 2015 Bollywood Box Office – here’s why