White House rejects new talks with N Korea

White House said North Korea needs to change its behaviour first.

Last Updated: Dec 22, 2010, 13:59 PM IST

Washington: The White House has rejected the idea of new multinational talks with North Korea, saying it needs to change its "belligerent" behaviour first.

Press secretary Robert Gibbs on Wednesday said there are no plans to debrief New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson after his trip to the North earlier this week.
Richardson reported Pyongyang will allow UN inspectors back into its main nuclear complex. He said that gesture and the North`s restraint in not retaliating for South Korean artillery drills could provide a basis for new six-party talks.
But Gibbs said the North is not "even remotely ready" for such talks. He said what Washington wants is conciliatory deeds, not words.

Bureau Report