White House says Israel has right to defend itself from Hamas
Washington: The White House has said Israel has the right to defend itself against attack and decide how to respond to rocket fire from the Gaza Strip.
The White House has blamed the ruling Islamic militant Hamas group for starting the conflict.
“We believe Israel has a right to defend itself, and they`ll make their own decisions about the tactics they use in that regard,” deputy national security adviser Ben Rhodes told reporters during the president`s flight on Air Force One to Asia.
Israel on Saturday hit Gaza with nearly 200 airstrikes, expanding an aerial assault to include the prime minister`s headquarters, a police compound and a vast network of smuggling tunnels, the Daily Mail reports.
US President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu are in agreement that a de-escalation of the violence is preferred, provided that Hamas stops sending rocket into Israel, Rhodes said.
The Israeli Government has called up thousands of reservists and massed troops, tanks and other armored vehicles along the border with Gaza, signaling a ground invasion could be imminent, the report said.
Israel launched the offensive on Wednesday by assassinating Hamas`` military commander, but Rhodes said the U.S. believes ``the precipitating factor for the conflict was the rocket fire coming out of Gaza.’
“These rockets have been fired into Israeli civilian areas and territory for some time now. So Israelis have endured far too much of a threat from these rockets for far too long, and that is what led the Israelis to take the action that they did in Gaza,” he added.
“They have the ability to play a constructive role in engaging Hamas and encouraging a process of de-escalation,” Rhodes said.
“We wouldn`t comment on specific targeting choices by the Israelis other than to say that we of course always underscore the importance of avoiding civilian casualties,” he said.
“But the Israelis again will make judgments about their military operations,” he added.
Forty-two Palestinians, including 13 civilians, and three Israelis have been killed in this past week`s fighting, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams
- Complete list of award winners at IPL 2015