White House `smoke bombed` by Occupy protesters
Washington: The White House was locked down
on Wednesday for more than an hour after a "smoke bomb" landed inside
the compound of the US President`s residence, breaching the
high security cordon around the building.
The incident took place on Tuesday night (US time) when
an estimated 1,000 people of the Occupy Wall Street movement
were protesting outside the White House.
Panic struck the federal agency
responsible for security of the US President, when they saw a
smoke bomb landed inside the high secure ground of the White
The White House was temporarily locked down and streets
around the area were cordoned off. The protesters were
peacefully dispersed and the White House was all clear.
President Barack Obama, and First Lady Michelle were not
at home when the incident occurred.
Obama had taken Michelle to a restaurant for a dinner on
the occasion of her 48th birthday. The First Couple have since
returned to the White House without any difficulty.
Secret Service spokesman George Ogilvie said there were
no arrests and the agency was investigating the incident.
The journalists who were travelling with the President on
return were prevented from leaving the grounds.
After holding in the briefing room for 45 minutes, a
White House official escorted the press corps out of the White
House grounds through the Executive building and out to an
exit on 17th Street.
US Secret Service was investigating an object that was
thrown over the fence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan