White House staffer sacked for anti-administration tweets
Washington: A White House national security official has been dismissed after being identified as the source of tweets insulting the administration that were sent under a fake name, news reports said.
A White House source said this official no longer works for the administration of President Barack Obama, but declined to give details.
The Daily Beast news website reported that Jofi Joseph, 40, who worked on nuclear non-proliferation in the National Security Council, was let go after being identified as the author of messages sent under the name "@NatSecWonk".
Tweets sent under this account assailed both the Obama administration and Republicans, as well as conservative political commentators, The Daily Beast said.
The comments targeted a close friend and adviser of the president, Valerie Jarrett, foreign policy speech writer Ben Rhodes and even Secretary of State John Kerry.
Another news website, Politico, said it had received an email statement from Joseph.
"It has been a privilege to serve in this administration and I deeply regret violating the trust and confidence placed in me," Joseph was quoted as saying in the email.
"What started out as an intended parody account of DC culture developed over time into a series of inappropriate and mean-spirited comments. I bear complete responsibility for this affair and I sincerely apologize to everyone I insulted," he wrote, according to Politico.
The White House issued no official statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered