White House told of Libyan attack claim on Sept 11
Washington: According to a government document, two hours after the US Consulate came under attack in Benghazi, Libya, the White House was told that a militant group was claiming responsibility for the violence that killed the US ambassador.
A State Department email to intelligence officials and the White House situation room said Ansar al-Sharia claimed responsibility on Facebook and Twitter, and also called for an attack on the US Embassy in Tripoli.
The document could fuel Republican efforts to show that the White House knew it was a terrorist attack while the US ambassador to the United Nations was saying it looked like a protest gone awry.
The Associated Press and other news organizations obtained the unclassified email from government officials who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to talk publicly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing