White House told of Libyan attack claim on Sept 11
Washington: According to a government document, two hours after the US Consulate came under attack in Benghazi, Libya, the White House was told that a militant group was claiming responsibility for the violence that killed the US ambassador.
A State Department email to intelligence officials and the White House situation room said Ansar al-Sharia claimed responsibility on Facebook and Twitter, and also called for an attack on the US Embassy in Tripoli.
The document could fuel Republican efforts to show that the White House knew it was a terrorist attack while the US ambassador to the United Nations was saying it looked like a protest gone awry.
The Associated Press and other news organizations obtained the unclassified email from government officials who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to talk publicly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad