‘Whites no longer a majority in US by 2043’
Washington: White people will no longer make up a majority of Americans by 2043.
The new government projection is a year later than previous estimates, made before the impact of the recent economic downturn was known.
The nation continues to grow and become more diverse due to higher birth rates among minorities, but no longer at a torrid pace as immigration wanes.
The total US population should climb to 420 million by 2060, with whites making up 43 per cent. Hispanics, currently 17 percent of the population, will jump to 31 per cent, or nearly 1 in 3 residents. Blacks will make up 14.7 per cent, up slightly.
The point when minority children become the majority is expected to occur in 2019; last year, minorities became the majority among US newborns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!