‘Whites no longer a majority in US by 2043’
Washington: White people will no longer make up a majority of Americans by 2043.
The new government projection is a year later than previous estimates, made before the impact of the recent economic downturn was known.
The nation continues to grow and become more diverse due to higher birth rates among minorities, but no longer at a torrid pace as immigration wanes.
The total US population should climb to 420 million by 2060, with whites making up 43 per cent. Hispanics, currently 17 percent of the population, will jump to 31 per cent, or nearly 1 in 3 residents. Blacks will make up 14.7 per cent, up slightly.
The point when minority children become the majority is expected to occur in 2019; last year, minorities became the majority among US newborns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon