WHO imposes travel curbs on polio-endemic Pakistan
Islamabad: The World Health Organisation (WHO) Monday imposed strict travel restrictions on Pakistan due to the increasing number of polio cases in the country.
WHO has made it mandatory for Pakistanis to travel with a polio vaccination certificate which will determine that they have been vaccinated for the virus, Dawn online reported.
WHO`s Emergency Committee has confirmed three countries where the crippling virus is still endemic -- Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nigeria.
The virus, which spreads by attacking and permanently crippling infants and children, can only be controlled through vaccination, WHO officials said.
Sixty percent of polio cases were the result of international spread of wild poliovirus, and there was increasing evidence that adult travellers contributed to this spread.
The WHO officials in Pakistan will ensure that all citizens receive a dose of inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) between four weeks and 12 months prior to any international travelling.
They will also make sure that those who undertake urgent travel (within four weeks) and have not received a dose of IPV in the previous four weeks to 12 months, receive a dose of polio vaccine at least by the time of departure.
Everyone who has received a dose of IPV will be provided with an International Certificate of Vaccination to record their polio vaccination and serve as proof of vaccination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video