WHO imposes travel curbs on polio-endemic Pakistan
Islamabad: The World Health Organisation (WHO) Monday imposed strict travel restrictions on Pakistan due to the increasing number of polio cases in the country.
WHO has made it mandatory for Pakistanis to travel with a polio vaccination certificate which will determine that they have been vaccinated for the virus, Dawn online reported.
WHO`s Emergency Committee has confirmed three countries where the crippling virus is still endemic -- Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nigeria.
The virus, which spreads by attacking and permanently crippling infants and children, can only be controlled through vaccination, WHO officials said.
Sixty percent of polio cases were the result of international spread of wild poliovirus, and there was increasing evidence that adult travellers contributed to this spread.
The WHO officials in Pakistan will ensure that all citizens receive a dose of inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) between four weeks and 12 months prior to any international travelling.
They will also make sure that those who undertake urgent travel (within four weeks) and have not received a dose of IPV in the previous four weeks to 12 months, receive a dose of polio vaccine at least by the time of departure.
Everyone who has received a dose of IPV will be provided with an International Certificate of Vaccination to record their polio vaccination and serve as proof of vaccination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death