Who threatened killings at Mike Tyson’s show?
New York: The US Police are investigating the origins of a Twitter post by a user who threatened to kill people attending a Broadway show in a repeat of the Colorado theatre shooting last month that had left 12 people dead.
The NYPD had subpoenaed Twitter to turn over information about the user`s registration information and computer network address.
The micro-blogging site had initially refused to cooperate with the police department but later complied with the subpoena and turned over to the NYPD, information about the user.
The tweets, which were posted around July 30, were made from a username like `Obamasmistress` and `Anonymous Celebrity`, the New York Daily News reported.
The user had threatened to carry out the Colorado movie theatre-type shooting at a Broadway theatre here where Mike Tyson is appearing in a one-man show titled "Undisputed".
It read, "This ain`t no joke yo I`m serious people are gonna die just like in aurora". (sic)
"I`m in Florida rite now," Obamasmistress also tweeted, "but it`ll happen i promise I`m just finishing up my hit list".
The posting was among a string of Twitter posts that alarmed police investigators: "I might just shoot up this theatre in New York"; "I know they leave their exit doors unlocked"; "I got 600 people on my hit list and that`s gonna be a mass murder for real".
The tweets refer to the mass shooting in Aurora on July 20 in which the lone gunman James Holmes massacred 12 people and left 58 injured as they watched the new Batman movie `The Dark Knight Rises`.
Twitter had said initially suggested to police that the tweets pose no real emergency or threat.
NYPD`s spokesman, Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne, said police have a responsibility to pursue any threat, regardless of whether Twitter dismisses the seriousness of it.
"We just felt a threat involving an identified location in the theatre district merited immediate cooperation," Browne said.
Browne said even though the tweeter posted from Florida, investigators are worried that person might travel to New York to carry out the threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral