Who threatened killings at Mike Tyson’s show?
New York: The US Police are investigating the origins of a Twitter post by a user who threatened to kill people attending a Broadway show in a repeat of the Colorado theatre shooting last month that had left 12 people dead.
The NYPD had subpoenaed Twitter to turn over information about the user`s registration information and computer network address.
The micro-blogging site had initially refused to cooperate with the police department but later complied with the subpoena and turned over to the NYPD, information about the user.
The tweets, which were posted around July 30, were made from a username like `Obamasmistress` and `Anonymous Celebrity`, the New York Daily News reported.
The user had threatened to carry out the Colorado movie theatre-type shooting at a Broadway theatre here where Mike Tyson is appearing in a one-man show titled "Undisputed".
It read, "This ain`t no joke yo I`m serious people are gonna die just like in aurora". (sic)
"I`m in Florida rite now," Obamasmistress also tweeted, "but it`ll happen i promise I`m just finishing up my hit list".
The posting was among a string of Twitter posts that alarmed police investigators: "I might just shoot up this theatre in New York"; "I know they leave their exit doors unlocked"; "I got 600 people on my hit list and that`s gonna be a mass murder for real".
The tweets refer to the mass shooting in Aurora on July 20 in which the lone gunman James Holmes massacred 12 people and left 58 injured as they watched the new Batman movie `The Dark Knight Rises`.
Twitter had said initially suggested to police that the tweets pose no real emergency or threat.
NYPD`s spokesman, Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne, said police have a responsibility to pursue any threat, regardless of whether Twitter dismisses the seriousness of it.
"We just felt a threat involving an identified location in the theatre district merited immediate cooperation," Browne said.
Browne said even though the tweeter posted from Florida, investigators are worried that person might travel to New York to carry out the threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!