Who threatened killings at Mike Tyson’s show?
New York: The US Police are investigating the origins of a Twitter post by a user who threatened to kill people attending a Broadway show in a repeat of the Colorado theatre shooting last month that had left 12 people dead.
The NYPD had subpoenaed Twitter to turn over information about the user`s registration information and computer network address.
The micro-blogging site had initially refused to cooperate with the police department but later complied with the subpoena and turned over to the NYPD, information about the user.
The tweets, which were posted around July 30, were made from a username like `Obamasmistress` and `Anonymous Celebrity`, the New York Daily News reported.
The user had threatened to carry out the Colorado movie theatre-type shooting at a Broadway theatre here where Mike Tyson is appearing in a one-man show titled "Undisputed".
It read, "This ain`t no joke yo I`m serious people are gonna die just like in aurora". (sic)
"I`m in Florida rite now," Obamasmistress also tweeted, "but it`ll happen i promise I`m just finishing up my hit list".
The posting was among a string of Twitter posts that alarmed police investigators: "I might just shoot up this theatre in New York"; "I know they leave their exit doors unlocked"; "I got 600 people on my hit list and that`s gonna be a mass murder for real".
The tweets refer to the mass shooting in Aurora on July 20 in which the lone gunman James Holmes massacred 12 people and left 58 injured as they watched the new Batman movie `The Dark Knight Rises`.
Twitter had said initially suggested to police that the tweets pose no real emergency or threat.
NYPD`s spokesman, Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne, said police have a responsibility to pursue any threat, regardless of whether Twitter dismisses the seriousness of it.
"We just felt a threat involving an identified location in the theatre district merited immediate cooperation," Browne said.
Browne said even though the tweeter posted from Florida, investigators are worried that person might travel to New York to carry out the threat.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?