Why royal baby was named George Alexander Louis
London: What could be the reasons behind the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s naming their first baby as George Alexander Louis?
A cynic could point out that before it was known that a boy took birth, Alexandra – Queen Elizabeth’s first middle name - had been the favourite.
Of the three names, the significance of the third name Louis is the most obvious one.
Louis makes a person think of Louis Mountbatten, Prince Philip’s uncle and last viceroy of India, who was assassinated by the IRA in a bomb attack on his yacht.
His father Prince Louis of Battenberg was William’s great-great-grandfather; Louis is also one of William’s middle names. Also 17 kings of France (or 18 or 19, depending on how you count) have been named Louis, the BBC reported.
If Louis honours one side of the Royal Family, the name George clearly links with the other.
Despite St George being the patron saint of England, it was the German king, George I, who cemented the name in England.
Since then there have been five other Georges to sit on the throne.
No King of England or the UK has ever been named Alexander; however, it was borne by three kings of Scotland.
Alexander the Great is known for famously conquering much of the known world and is often described as the best general ever to live.
There were two other rulers of Macedon to bear his name and there was another Alexander, who was the sole Byzantine emperor to bear that name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users