Why royal baby was named George Alexander Louis
London: What could be the reasons behind the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s naming their first baby as George Alexander Louis?
A cynic could point out that before it was known that a boy took birth, Alexandra – Queen Elizabeth’s first middle name - had been the favourite.
Of the three names, the significance of the third name Louis is the most obvious one.
Louis makes a person think of Louis Mountbatten, Prince Philip’s uncle and last viceroy of India, who was assassinated by the IRA in a bomb attack on his yacht.
His father Prince Louis of Battenberg was William’s great-great-grandfather; Louis is also one of William’s middle names. Also 17 kings of France (or 18 or 19, depending on how you count) have been named Louis, the BBC reported.
If Louis honours one side of the Royal Family, the name George clearly links with the other.
Despite St George being the patron saint of England, it was the German king, George I, who cemented the name in England.
Since then there have been five other Georges to sit on the throne.
No King of England or the UK has ever been named Alexander; however, it was borne by three kings of Scotland.
Alexander the Great is known for famously conquering much of the known world and is often described as the best general ever to live.
There were two other rulers of Macedon to bear his name and there was another Alexander, who was the sole Byzantine emperor to bear that name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?