Widespread flight cancellations in German strikes
Berlin: Hundreds of flights have been cancelled after public-sector workers walked off the jobs at airports in Frankfurt, Munich, Duesseldorf and several other German cities in a strike for higher wages.
Germany`s largest airline Lufthansa alone said it was cancelling 600 flights today, from primarily within Europe, as a result of the strike.
The Ver.Di union says it is holding the one-day warning strike to pressure employers ahead of a third round of negotiations for some 2.1 million federal and municipal employees.
The union is pushing for a 100 euro (USD 138) one-off payment and a 3.5 percent wage increase and says they have not yet received a counteroffer.
Ver.Di says the strikes, also at Hamburg, Cologne, Stuttgart and Hannover airports, affect ground services, service, maintenance and other workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Can you believe it? Ranbir Kapoor, Ranveer Singh danced to 'Dilli Wali Girlfriend' setting the party on fire!- WATCH
- Arshad Warsi all set to don director's hat!
- GST Bill: Arun Jaitley to meet state finance ministers on Tuesday
- 'Madaari' Box Office collections: Irrfan Khan starrer mints Rs 5.75 crores
- Narsingh Yadav cries foul after dope test shock, says truth will come out