Widespread flight cancellations in German strikes
Berlin: Hundreds of flights have been cancelled after public-sector workers walked off the jobs at airports in Frankfurt, Munich, Duesseldorf and several other German cities in a strike for higher wages.
Germany`s largest airline Lufthansa alone said it was cancelling 600 flights today, from primarily within Europe, as a result of the strike.
The Ver.Di union says it is holding the one-day warning strike to pressure employers ahead of a third round of negotiations for some 2.1 million federal and municipal employees.
The union is pushing for a 100 euro (USD 138) one-off payment and a 3.5 percent wage increase and says they have not yet received a counteroffer.
Ver.Di says the strikes, also at Hamburg, Cologne, Stuttgart and Hannover airports, affect ground services, service, maintenance and other workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!