Widespread flight cancellations in German strikes
Berlin: Hundreds of flights have been cancelled after public-sector workers walked off the jobs at airports in Frankfurt, Munich, Duesseldorf and several other German cities in a strike for higher wages.
Germany`s largest airline Lufthansa alone said it was cancelling 600 flights today, from primarily within Europe, as a result of the strike.
The Ver.Di union says it is holding the one-day warning strike to pressure employers ahead of a third round of negotiations for some 2.1 million federal and municipal employees.
The union is pushing for a 100 euro (USD 138) one-off payment and a 3.5 percent wage increase and says they have not yet received a counteroffer.
Ver.Di says the strikes, also at Hamburg, Cologne, Stuttgart and Hannover airports, affect ground services, service, maintenance and other workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country