Wife of former German president sues Google
Washington: Bettina Wulff, the wife of the former German president Christian Wulff, has sued web giant Google in a legal action to stop rumours about her private life.
Wulff, in her defamation lawsuit against Google, claimed that when the name Bettina Wulff is typed into Google`s search engine, it suggested search terms included the words "prostitute" and "red light district".
Wulff has denied that she has ever worked as a prostitute.
However, Google said that the auto-generated text reflects what others are already searching for online, the BBC reports.
Wulff has spent over two years fighting allegations she was once employed as an escort, a German newspaper noted.
“Her lawyers have already issued 34 successful cease-and-desist orders, including one against a prominent German television personality this weekend,” the paper said.
The same paper said a defamation suit was launched against Google last week.
Head of PR for Google Germany, Kay Oberbeck, said the site’s search terms were "algorithmically generated" and "include the popularity of the entered search terms".
"All terms that appear have been previously entered by Google users," he added in a statement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list