WikiLeaks founder Assange applies to work, live in Sweden
Stockholm: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has applied to the Swedish Migration Board for a permit to stay and work in the country, a spokesman for the agency said on Tuesday.
"He has applied for permission to work and stay in Sweden and (the request) came in on August 18," Haakan Gestrin said.
He added it was not possible to give more details about the 39-year-old Australian`s application because it had not yet been processed.
Another migration board spokesperson, Gunilla Wikstroem, told Swedish news agency TT the application was on hold since some information was missing, but did not provide further details.
Assange`s application was submitted shortly before rape and molestation allegations against him by two Swedish women were made public.
A Swedish duty prosecutor issued an arrest warrant for him on August 20 over the rape claim. But chief prosecutor Eva Finne abruptly withdrew it the next day, saying new information had come to light.
Then last week, Finne said there was no reason to believe a crime had been committed, adding however that she had enough evidence to keep looking into a molestation allegation from the other woman against Assange.
Police questioned Assange about the allegation yesterday, and his lawyer told AFP today he expected the prosecutor to "drop the whole thing."
Assange himself has called the allegations part of a "smear campaign" aimed at discrediting his website, which is locked in a row with the Pentagon over the release of secret US documents about the war in Afghanistan.
WikiLeaks published nearly 77,000 classified US military documents on the war in Afghanistan on July 23, and it intends to publish another 15,000 within the next week or so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday