WikiLeaks suspect attorneys seek reduced charges
Fort Meade: Lawyers for WikiLeaks
suspect Bradley Manning called for the charges against the US
Army private to be reduced as a hearing to decide if he should
face a court-martial ended on Friday.
The defence appeal came during closing arguments at the
end of a seven-day pre-trial hearing for the low-ranking
soldier blamed for one of the most serious intelligence
breaches in US history.
"The government overcharged in this case," said Manning`s
civilian defence attorney David Coombs.
Manning, 24, faces life in prison if convicted of aiding
the enemy, the most serious of the 22 charges he is facing
over the leak of hundreds of thousands of military documents
and diplomatic cables to the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks.
Coombs said all of the charges should be dropped except
for three that carry the possibility of 30 years in prison.
US Army prosecutors urged the presiding officer,
Lieutenant Colonel Paul Almanza, to recommend a court-martial
on all the charges.
Almanza is not expected to make a decision for several
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department