WikiLeaks suspect forced to sleep naked in prison
Washington: The Army private suspected of
giving classified US documents to the anti-secrecy group
WikiLeaks was forced to sleep naked in a military jail at
least once this week, the Marine Corps acknowledged today
after the soldier`s lawyer complained.
Commanders of the prison near Washington ordered all of
Pfc Bradley Manning`s clothing, including his boxer shorts,
taken from him Wednesday night under provisions of the Navy
Corrections Manual, which governs prisoner treatment, said 1st
Lt Brian Villiard, a spokesman for the Marine Corps base.
"It was a situationally driven event but to go into
detail about it would be inappropriate because it would
violate the detainee`s privacy," Villiard said.
Col Thomas V Johnson, another spokesman, said the
treatment was not punitive.
Manning, a former intelligence analyst, is charged with
aiding the enemy and 33 other offenses for allegedly stealing
computer files of more than 250,000 confidential State
Department cables, classified video of a deadly US helicopter
attack and a raft of Iraq and Afghanistan war logs. The video
and thousands of the documents have been published on the
He was arrested in May and brought to Quantico July 29
from a detention facility in Kuwait.
The Navy Corrections Manual permits clothing removal for
prisoners who have threatened suicide or made a suicidal
gesture, or for strip searches involving suspicion of a crime.
Villiard said Manning hadn`t been placed on suicide
The 23-year-old remains in maximum custody and on
prevention-of-injury status, designations that keep him
confined alone 23 hours a day, and require removal of all
clothing except his boxer shorts at night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray