Will Assange escape to Ecuador in diplomatic bag?
Sydney: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is likely to escape from Ecuador`s embassy in London in a ‘diplomatic bag’, which could be a suitcase or a crate, an expert has said.
Diplomacy expert Michael McKinley pointed out that the prospect of getting Assange to South America in a diplomatic bag couldn`t be ruled out.
“If you look at the embassy in London it`d be a bit difficult to imagine a container getting in there,” News.com.au quoted McKinley, as saying.
“It`d be difficult, but not impossible to conjure up a scenario where a large object is exported from the embassy in the current form. It can be intercepted - and on occasions it has been,” he added.
According to the report, the diplomatic bag was traditionally used to transfer confidential briefings and correspondence without interference.
But over time the customary usage of the bag has been to extend the privilege to basically anything that is sent from the home country.
According to the report, McKinley stressed that Britain does recognise diplomatic immunity, but can intervene.
“Britain does recognise it, but what they`re now quoting is an act which allows them under certain circumstances, to enter the premises of an embassy,” the report quoted him, as saying.
“They`re claiming that could be invoked against Assange. It would be extraordinary of Britain to do it, and it`s nevertheless threatening to do so,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui