Will Assange escape to Ecuador in diplomatic bag?
Sydney: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is likely to escape from Ecuador`s embassy in London in a ‘diplomatic bag’, which could be a suitcase or a crate, an expert has said.
Diplomacy expert Michael McKinley pointed out that the prospect of getting Assange to South America in a diplomatic bag couldn`t be ruled out.
“If you look at the embassy in London it`d be a bit difficult to imagine a container getting in there,” News.com.au quoted McKinley, as saying.
“It`d be difficult, but not impossible to conjure up a scenario where a large object is exported from the embassy in the current form. It can be intercepted - and on occasions it has been,” he added.
According to the report, the diplomatic bag was traditionally used to transfer confidential briefings and correspondence without interference.
But over time the customary usage of the bag has been to extend the privilege to basically anything that is sent from the home country.
According to the report, McKinley stressed that Britain does recognise diplomatic immunity, but can intervene.
“Britain does recognise it, but what they`re now quoting is an act which allows them under certain circumstances, to enter the premises of an embassy,” the report quoted him, as saying.
“They`re claiming that could be invoked against Assange. It would be extraordinary of Britain to do it, and it`s nevertheless threatening to do so,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM