Will Assange escape to Ecuador in diplomatic bag?
Sydney: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is likely to escape from Ecuador`s embassy in London in a ‘diplomatic bag’, which could be a suitcase or a crate, an expert has said.
Diplomacy expert Michael McKinley pointed out that the prospect of getting Assange to South America in a diplomatic bag couldn`t be ruled out.
“If you look at the embassy in London it`d be a bit difficult to imagine a container getting in there,” News.com.au quoted McKinley, as saying.
“It`d be difficult, but not impossible to conjure up a scenario where a large object is exported from the embassy in the current form. It can be intercepted - and on occasions it has been,” he added.
According to the report, the diplomatic bag was traditionally used to transfer confidential briefings and correspondence without interference.
But over time the customary usage of the bag has been to extend the privilege to basically anything that is sent from the home country.
According to the report, McKinley stressed that Britain does recognise diplomatic immunity, but can intervene.
“Britain does recognise it, but what they`re now quoting is an act which allows them under certain circumstances, to enter the premises of an embassy,” the report quoted him, as saying.
“They`re claiming that could be invoked against Assange. It would be extraordinary of Britain to do it, and it`s nevertheless threatening to do so,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : Dr. Subhash Chandra Show on tips for successful life
- Solar Impulse 2 lands in Spain, completes world's first Atlantic flight
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death