Will judge Assad by his actions, not words: Hillary
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton has asked Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad to demonstrate his willingness to peace by pulling back troops from populated areas and accept a UN-brokered peace plan.
"Given Assad`s history of over-promising and under-
delivering, that commitment must now be matched by immediate
actions. We will judge Assad`s sincerity and seriousness by
what he does, not by what he says," Clinton told reporters in
joint press availability with Estonian Foreign Minister Urmas
"If he is ready to bring this dark chapter in Syria`s
history to a close, he can prove it by immediately ordering
regime forces to stop firing and begin withdrawing from
populated areas," she said.
Clinton was responding to questions on joint UN-Arab
League envoy Kofi Annan`s six-point plan that calls for a
UN-monitored ceasefire, access for humanitarian aid workers
and an inclusive, Syrian-led political transition to a
democratic, multi-party political system.
"He (Assad) can also allow international aid workers
unfettered access to those in need, and he can release
political prisoners, permit peaceful political activity, allow
the international news media unobstructed access, and begin a
legitimate political process that leads to a democratic transition," Clinton said.
"As the regime takes steps, which we have yet to see, but
assuming it does so, then Kofi Annan has pledged to work with
the opposition to take steps of its own so that the bloodshed
ends, that there won`t be violence coming from opposition
forces, that humanitarian aid will be permitted to come into
areas where the opposition has been holding, that the true
political dialogue will begin, and that all Syrians will be
welcomed to participate in an inclusive process," she said.
"Now that`s a lot to look forward to seeing implemented,
but given the response that we have had, we are going to be
working very urgently between now and Istanbul to translate
into concrete steps what we expect to see," she said.
She also asked Syrian opposition to come forward with a
unified position and a vision for the country.
"They must be able to clearly demonstrate a commitment to
including all Syrians and protecting the rights of all
Syrians," she said, adding that the US would be pushing them
very hard to present a vision at Istanbul conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi