Will not succumb to US pressure on N-programme: Iran
Tehran: Iran on Tuesday said it will not succumb to the western pressures to compromise its "inalienable right" to use nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.
"Iran will not give up or compromise its inalienable right to use nuclear energy, fuel cycle and enrichment," Iran`s Permanent Representative to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Ali Asqar Soltaniyeh said at a press conference on the sidelines of the 16th Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) summit in Tehran.
He said Iran is committed to its undertakings within the framework of the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and the International Atomic Energy Agency`s statute, and said Tehran will continue its cooperation with the IAEA.
Way back in May, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had said that Tehran would stick hard to its nuclear rights under any kind of condition.
"They (the West) should know that this nation will not retreat even an iota from its inalienable rights," he had said.
Numerous posters here that have been set up for the NAM Summit also spell out the same message.
The US and Western countries have accused Iran of pursuing a clandestine and dangerous nuclear weapons programme.
Iran says its nuclear programme is a peaceful drive to produce electricity so that the world`s fourth-largest crude oil exporter can sell more of its oil and gas abroad.
Tehran also claims that it is pursuing a civilian path to provide power to the growing number of Iranian population, whose fossil fuel would eventually run dry.
Iran is under four rounds of UN Security Council sanctions for turning down West`s calls to give up its right of uranium enrichment.
The sanctions have hit Iran`s oil export to countries including India which is finding it difficult to make payments for the crude and also shipping the same.
Given the situation that Iran is in, Tehran sees the hosting of the Summit of the 120-nation bloc as a major diplomatic victory.
US and Israel have alleged that Tehran will use the Summit to further its propaganda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video