Will press ahead with reforms: Jordan King
Amman: Jordan`s King Abdullah II says he will press ahead with a wide-ranging package of reforms, amending elections laws that the opposition says favor pro-palace candidates and overhauling a public sector widely seen rife with corruption and nepotism.
Addressing Parliament`s opening session today, Abdullah says his "white revolution" is part of home-grown reforms he initiated weeks before the outset of the Arab Spring that saw four of his peers deposed in uprisings.
He says his plan would restructure public sector agencies and advance the quality of education, health care and public transportation.
He also said parliament should tackle election laws, but did not give details. The Muslim Brotherhood boycotted both elections this year to protest the laws.
The opposition says they favor conservative tribal candidates who back the palace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad