Will protect pristine forests: Malaysian minister
Kuala Lumpur: G Palanivel, the new Malaysian environment minister on Thursday promised to protect the pristine forests of the tropical nation through sustainable management of the country`s natural resources.
Journalist-turned-politician Palanivel, an ethnic Indian and the leader Malaysia`s largest ethnic Indian based political party MIC, said he was ready to face any challenge on various environmental issues following his appointment as Natural Resources and Environment Minister.
"It is a challenging ministry and I hope to play a role in protecting and nurturing our environment," he said after Prime Minister Najib Razak announced the Cabinet line-up on Wednesday.
Palanivel said it was an interesting ministry to head due to its wide-ranging areas of interest.
In the May 5 Elections, Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC) won four out of nine parliamentary seats contested, which is one more than its three-seat victory in 2008.
S Subramaniam, the deputy president of the ruling Barisan Nasional component party, has been named the new Health Minister.
MIC vice-president M Saravanan will be will the deputy minister of Youth and Sport.
P Kamalanathan, the party`s youth coordinator, will be Deputy Minister II in the Ministry of Education and Higher Learning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days