Will pursue dream of peace: Chinese general
United Nations: China will continue to pursue a dream of peace and stay firmly on the path of peaceful development, a senior Chinese military official has said.
Maj Gen. Zhang Jianguo, head of the Chinese delegation to the UN Military Staff Committee, made the remarks Thursday at a reception to celebrate the the 86th anniversary of the founding of the Chinese People`s Liberation Army (PLA).
Zhang said China will actively fulfil its due international obligations and firmly promote peaceful and common development, reported Xinhua.
China has had military contacts with more than 150 countries and exchanges about 400 visits every year with foreign military delegations.
As for China`s contribution to UN peacekeeping operations, Zhang said China has so far dispatched 22,000 peacekeepers, making it the biggest peacekeeper contributing country among the five permanent members of the UN Security Council.
China has also dispatched the biggest number of support teams among the 115 troop contributing countries to the UN, and contributes the largest share of UN peacekeeping costs among all developing countries, he said.
According to Zhang, China will send about 400 engineering, medical and security personnel this year to the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali. It will be the 24th UN peacekeeping operation China participates in and the largest peacekeeping deployment by China.
Zhang added that the Chinese Navy has sent 14 escort formations to provide security for 600 batches of 5,227 Chinese and foreign vessels.
"The PLA will forever be a staunch force for world peace and regional stability," Zhang said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'