Will pursue dream of peace: Chinese general
United Nations: China will continue to pursue a dream of peace and stay firmly on the path of peaceful development, a senior Chinese military official has said.
Maj Gen. Zhang Jianguo, head of the Chinese delegation to the UN Military Staff Committee, made the remarks Thursday at a reception to celebrate the the 86th anniversary of the founding of the Chinese People`s Liberation Army (PLA).
Zhang said China will actively fulfil its due international obligations and firmly promote peaceful and common development, reported Xinhua.
China has had military contacts with more than 150 countries and exchanges about 400 visits every year with foreign military delegations.
As for China`s contribution to UN peacekeeping operations, Zhang said China has so far dispatched 22,000 peacekeepers, making it the biggest peacekeeper contributing country among the five permanent members of the UN Security Council.
China has also dispatched the biggest number of support teams among the 115 troop contributing countries to the UN, and contributes the largest share of UN peacekeeping costs among all developing countries, he said.
According to Zhang, China will send about 400 engineering, medical and security personnel this year to the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali. It will be the 24th UN peacekeeping operation China participates in and the largest peacekeeping deployment by China.
Zhang added that the Chinese Navy has sent 14 escort formations to provide security for 600 batches of 5,227 Chinese and foreign vessels.
"The PLA will forever be a staunch force for world peace and regional stability," Zhang said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report